Back in April 2015 i posted about another gang of Muslim sexual predators arrested for child sex crimes against a vulnerable white girl from Rochdale. Suddenly it all went silent on the grooming gang, no police statements, no court reports in the press or even a few words on the case. Nothing what so ever on the filthy Islamic child abusers. It seemed they were to be another Muslim sex gang who disappeared without trace. Spared the naming and shaming in the interests of community cohesion.
That was how things stayed until today when it very quietly and with minimal publicity came out that 10 beasts from the grooming gang have been convicted
Ten men have been convicted of committing sexual offences against a teenage girl in Rochdale.
The complainant walked into a police station shortly after widespread media coverage of the 2012 convictions at Liverpool Crown Court of nine Asian defendants for grooming white girls for sex in the town.
She told officers that from the age of 14 she had been repeatedly sexually groomed by a large number of men from the Rochdale area.
She also said that “hundreds” of men would ring her up wanting her to go out and have sex with them.
Thursday’s convictions can be reported following the conclusion of two trials at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court.
Opening the prosecutions, Neil Usher said the victim was “an extremely vulnerable young woman who has endured a very difficult home life”.
He said: “Some of this grooming was successful to the extent that as a child, and a vulnerable child at that, she on many occasions agreed to engage in sexual activity with a number of the older men.
“She told the police that there were other occasions when she had not agreed to have sex with some of the men, some of whom had nevertheless then gone on to have sex with her against her will.”
Afraz Ahmed, 33, of Oswald Street, Rochdale, was found guilty of various sexual offences, including rape, conspiracy to rape and sexual activity with a child, in relation to five underage victims.
Choudry Ikhalaq Hussein, 38, of Mayfield Terrace, Rochdale, was convicted of rape, sexual activity with a child and conspiracy to rape.
Rehan Ali, 27, of Cleethorpes Avenue, Blackley, and Kutab Miah, 35, of Ramsey Street, Rochdale, were both found guilty of rape and sexual activity with a child.
Mohammed Dauood, 38, of Leyland Road, Burnley, was convicted of offences in relation to two victims including rape, sexual activity with a child and sexual assault.
Abid Khan, 38, of Whitney Road, Liverpool, and Mohammed Zahid, 54, of Croxton Avenue, Rochdale, were found guilty of sexual activity with a child.
David Law, 46, of Colmanhay Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, was convicted of conspiracy to rape, while another defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was convicted of rape and attempting to abduct a child in relation to three victims.
A tenth defendant, Mahfuz Rahman, 29, of HMP Garth, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to three counts of sexual activity with a child. He was jailed last September for five-and-a-half years.
Three men were acquitted in the two trials.
The remaining defendants will be sentenced at Minshull Street Crown Court on April 7 and 8.
Alison Cartmell, Senior Crown Prosecutor from CPS North West Complex Casework Unit said: “These offenders have been convicted of a wide range of child sexual exploitation offences against young girls.
“They deliberately targeted the girls because of their youth and their vulnerability at the time, and in many cases groomed them by plying them with large amounts of alcohol or by pretending that they were offering genuine friendship before sexually abusing them.
“On a number of occasions the victims were subjected to violence or threats.
“One victim, an extremely vulnerable young girl with a troubled home life, was sexually exploited in some way by each one of these offenders.
“She has shown tremendous courage and determination in facing up to her abusers and giving evidence at court during two trials.
“The bravery of all the victims in reporting what happened and providing evidence during the trials has enabled us to bring strong prosecution cases and to bring these offenders to justice.
“Supporting them has been a key priority of the CPS and police throughout this prosecution, and we have put in place various special measures at court to help support them, such as giving evidence through a video link to the courtroom.
“This case sends out a clear message to those who abuse and exploit children in this way, that tackling these crimes remains a priority for the CPS and police and we will continue to bring offenders to trial.
“We take these cases extremely seriously and I hope these convictions will provide other victims of sexual abuse with confidence to come forward and report the abuse to police.”
Hussain was convicted in his absence and is currently wanted, said Greater Manchester Police.
He is believed to be outside the United Kingdom.
Police said the majority of the offences took place between 2004 and 2008, with the victims aged from 13 to 23 at the time.
Assistant Chief Constable Robert Potts said: “Operation Doublet was launched following the 2011 investigation into child sexual exploitation in Rochdale and we identified a number of cases, which broadly took place between 2004 and 2008, across Greater Manchester where teenage girls were being sexually exploited by older men.
“Cases such as this one are extremely complex and take a lot of hard work to ensure they reach court. Understandably, victims can go through an array of emotions during the process but their welfare is the most important thing to us and they are always supported by specially trained officers.
“The strong partnership approach taken here, ranging from the Crown Prosecution Service through to Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council has been important and the police team led by Detective Chief Inspector Jamie Daniels have dedicated themselves and have been relentless in achieving the very best outcomes.
“Today’s outcome belongs to the brave and courageous victims who have found the confidence to speak of their harrowing experiences. They’ve helped us to ensure that we can find those responsible for these horrific crimes and bring them to justice no matter how long has come to pass.
“This has been achieved through a great deal of hard work by police and all partners.
“The nationally recognised Sunrise team in Rochdale continue to help identify vulnerable children in Rochdale with Project Phoenix being a multi-agency approach for Greater Manchester.
“Tackling CSE is a priority for Greater Manchester Police and we, alongside our partners, are dedicated to helping those who are subjected to such abuse and to ensure they are safeguarded from the risks.”