Negotations are currently underway to transform a former Sunday School building into a mosque and community facility.
It is believed that the Colne Mosques Association have been in talks with the current Bradford owners of the Exchange Street site, and are keen to take it over by the end of the year.
According to Coun. Tony Greaves, the Grade II listed building, which was previously used for St Bartholmew’s Sunday School, has been empty and disused for around 10 years – with the yard becoming an “overgrown jungle”.
He is now pleased to see that the old school could be saved, and said that he welcomes news that a local group are willing and able to purchase the building.
He said: “I have spoken to the chairman of the Mosque Committee at the Colne mosque and he confirms that they are negotiating to purchase the former Exchange Street school buildings from the present owners.
“It can only be for the good and will prevent an important part of the local heritage from falling into disrepair and decay, which is already starting to happen. I understand that when the sale is completed the new owners will present their plans for the use of the buildings as a mosque and community facilities to the local community, and I look forward to discussing them with them.
“Planning permission will probably not be needed for such uses in view of the previous use of the site. Listed building permission would probably be needed for any changes to the exterior of the buildings.”
Also supporting the idea of getting the building back into community use is Derek Mann, chairman of the Waterside Neighbourhood Action Group.
- Zulfiqar Asif From Lancashire Jailed For Drugging And Raping Woman
- Muslim Nonce From Blackburn Only Gets Suspended Sentence After Going To Meet Girl Aged 12 For Sex
- Blackburn Rape Jihad: 13 Year Old Girl Sexually Assaulted In The Street
- Who Is Paying For New £8.3 Million Mega Mosque In Accrington?
- Blackburn Rape Jihad: Schoolgirl Attacked On Canal Path
- Shakquel Hussain Wanted For Stealing ‘Help The Heroes’ Charity Money
- 56 Year Old Woman Sexually Assaulted In A Blackburn Park
- 67 Year Old ‘Good Samaritan’ Knocked Unconscious By ‘Asian’ Thug In Lancashire
- Blackburn Islamization : Mosque Takes Over Management Of Local Sports and Community Centre