Finally questions are starting to be asked of individuals from Greater Manchester Police and Rochdale council who’s incompetence in failing to act upon information allowed the Muslim paedophile gangs to operate for so long without prosecution. Their negligence resulted in the victims of these racist Muslim sex gangs suffering more abuse and feeling that they no one to turn to after authorities failed them severely. Cheryl Eastwood, who was director of children’s services until this summer, and Steve Garner, who was director of targeted services are both being made to appear before the inquiry and made accountable. Both left their jobs after the gross failures by authorities became known, most likely to avoid being subject to disciplinary actions for their part.
Lets hope Councillors Aftab Hussain and Zulfiqar Ali, a former Mayor of Rochdale, are made accountable for their evidence in support of the paedophiles
Two former childcare bosses at Rochdale council and a top detective are to be questioned at a parliamentary grooming inquiry.
Cheryl Eastwood, who was director of children’s services until this summer, and Steve Garner, who quit as director of targeted services last month, will appear before MPs on Tuesday.
Det Chief Supt Mary Doyle, who is leading a string of child abuse inquiries across Greater Manchester, will also be quizzed.
They will be asked what they knew before and during the grooming scandal that rocked Rochdale.
Committee members will also want to know how police have changed their practices to better protect children. In May, nine men were jailed for plying girls from Rochdale with drink and drugs before sexually abusing them.
The council has since been slammed for failing to take the complaints of victims and staff seriously over a number of years.
Police have also been criticised for not working closely enough with other public authorities. Earlier this month, a sexual health worker, Sara Rowbotham, told the committee she had reported 181 cases of child grooming to the authorities between 2004 and 2008, when police finally began investigating. She said she had been excluded from high-level talks with council officers and police – and broke down as she said the teenagers had been treated ‘appallingly’. The committee is expected to demand an explanation from both Ms Eastwood and Mr Garner. Ms Eastwood was legally responsible for the council’s children’s services until July, when she retired after the full scale of the abuse was exposed.
Mr Garner quit a week after a damning safeguarding report highlighted a string of council failures. Det Chief Supt Doyle, who also appeared before the committee earlier this year, will be asked to explain how police have changed the way they handle grooming allegations.
At last week’s hearing former council chief executive Roger Ellis was asked to reveal his pay-off when he took early retirement earlier this year. It is understood the council is planning to waive its confidentiality agreement with Mr Ellis and provide the figure to MPs by Tuesday’s hearing.